Thursday, February 25, 2016

Sacrifice for love

I'm doing my best to have patience and love for my small children, especially the little boys. Last week I was at the edge of my patience with them and found me putting one in time out and letting the other cry while I took a break in my room to regroup. I fell to my knees and prayed for help. I didn't want to yell or get upset with the situation at hand, but my patience was getting thin. I then got the thought, or impression, that I should cut my hair. Not the answer I was expecting to get, but it was an answer. You see, my boys, when they get sad and clingy, they love to hold my hair for comfort. But recently it's not just holding my hair, it's pulling my hair and I feel I don't have control or freedom in any situation when they have me gripped by my hair. I don't like short hair, it's been 9 years since I cut my hair shorter than my shoulders. I thought about the idea and the thought of a conference talk came to my mind that was given just last October by Elder Lawrence called What lack I yet? He spoke about being humble and teachable in following the promptings of the Holy Ghost. I thought, I need to follow this impression if I want the Holy Ghost to keep guiding me, so I did it! I picked up Eden from school later that day and her and I went to go cut my hair. The little boys have been surprised that they can't grab my hair anymore, but I feel I have more love and patience and I'm not being controlled by them anymore, I can be controlled by my love for them now. I decided that I love my boys more than my hair, and my hair will grow back, and by then, they hopefully won't have a tendency to grab and pull it as they used to.

1 comment:

SmithFamily said...

Karla, this is proof to me God knows all things! Do not worry not a hair of you head shall be lost and for the record I thought your short hair back in the day was beautiful. You pulled it off beautifully and Im sure it looks great now :)

I do have extra sympathy, maybe even empathy, because Jacob used to love my hair. I could never put it up, or he would just take it down, and whenever he sat by me my nerves we always on edge because would be pulling my Hair!