Monday, February 8, 2016

Learning through a friend

There is a sister that I used to visit teach until she was married a year ago and moved into the neighboring ward with her new husband. I was assigned to be her visiting teacher because not all people can put up with her and she doesn't put up with a lot of people. She is a sweet sister but has been challenged in this life with mental disabilities. She can't read past a third grade level and her thinking is a lot like a child. Once she was married and I did not visit teach her anymore I thought she wouldn't call me anymore. I was wrong. She still calls me to talk and ask me for a ride here or there since her and her husband don't have a car. Sometimes her requests are bizarre and the timing isn't the best. I've learned to be honest and tell her 'no' when I honestly can't help her and know she doesn't take offense. The other day the realization came to me about my friend: She doesn't need me as much as I need her! I thought, 'when this life is over and she is not burdened by these handicaps brought on by mortality, what will she tell Jesus about me?' My heart began to change, instead of looking at her phone calls as a burden I began to see them as an opportunity to serve God and His children. Didn't Jesus say 'I was an hungered and you took me in, naked and ye clothed me, a stranger and ye took me in...' Yes, I need her more than she needs me. I can help her with a ride to the store, the doctor's office, or the laundry mat, but I need to learn to love ALL of God's children and to serve them as I would my own children. Thank you God for sending me this friend to teach me not to be so self-centered, to look out instead of in, to love instead of spite. Yesterday was her anniversary, I was so grateful for my friend that I baked her a cake for the occasion. Thank you Amanda!

No comments: