Tuesday, March 29, 2016

To rid ourselves of worldliness

Recently I began reading a talk that I found on my book shelf from President Bednar when he was president of BYU-Idaho. I was there when the talk was given and vaguely remember the talk. What was interesting was the date the talk was given, on September 11, 2001. Of coarse we all remember the day, but other things of significance happened as well on that day. He spoke of learning line upon line in ancient times as well as in modern times. One quote stuck out to me as I read through his words. He said: "The process of discerning between my will and God's will becomes less and less of a concern as time goes by and as we strive to rid ourselves of worldliness." Recently I have felt I've been lacking something in my life, trying to feel satisfied with what I do day in and day out. Kids can be exhausting and I feel I need a break at times, but my breaks don't renew me and I feel I need more of something. I found myself opening up the news when ever I had moment when the kids weren't needing me. All this 'news' seemed so exciting to me and gave me the outlet I thought I needed. But as I thought of President Bednar's words, I began to think, "do I really need that much 'news'? that much 'worldliness'?" So I made a new goal, I would only look at the news once, only spending 10-15 minutes each day. Now when I have a spare moment I don't jump to the news and more information, I find myself looking at what my kids are doing to find a space to play with them, or reading more of the scriptures or the words of the living prophets. I have felt a difference in my heart, in my desires to feel satisfied. The spirit has filled that gap as I put away more worldliness and filled it with more things of the spirit. I'm still far from perfection, but I feel that I can get closer to him by seeking more often the spiritual in small and simple ways.
 Team Smith
Most recent family picture 

 I thought this picture was classic 

This also describes a day in the life, 
I think our family was a little too big for their picture frame, oh well...

No comments: